Thursday, April 28, 2016

We can do this!

Hi Peeps!

I think losing friends is hard for anyone really but watching your child lose friends is harder. They just want to fit in with other peers. Seeing her self esteem fly away no matter what you do to help her. The friends that she does have say, she is a firer one. She can be bossy,argumentative, and demanding at times. I've been told by a few moms that I don't discipline my child. What they don't realise is I do behind closed doors.

I will not humiliate my child in front of others. Seven months ago we were dealing with a child who would scream at me for everything,slamming doors,defiant on Anything and everything,and crying behind the shed,refusing to do school work. At first my husband and I thought she was just being a rebellious teen. I cried a lot of tears trying to figure out how to help her and where did I go wrong. After trying hard on our own we sot out a counselor. Five months in we were referred to a psychiatrist.

 The wait was three months for this one place and I told her counselor and she recommended another person. The wait time was still the same so every week or two I would call for a cancellation to try and get her in quicker; it worked! Of course my daughter didn't really sleep at all that night in fact she woke me up at 5:30am. Our appointment was at 8:40am and the drive was an hour away. I was exhausted and thought it was time to leave so we were there 40 minutes early,eek! My sweet "little" girl was diagnosed with ADD, Social Anxiety,and Paranoia.


Since, I homeschool my children and she has literally fought me everyday for school. My husband and I decided it would be best to see what public school could offer her at this time(Yes,they have attended PS before). I was able to speak with one of the school counselors about my daughter and her diagnoses. I asked a variety of questions and was even told about a 504 plan. You have to qualify for it but it pretty much helps give your child acommendations in school. The example she used was smaller class setting for taking test. She told me by the diagnoses my daughter has she will more and likely qualify. You have to register your child and then go get a form from the counselor and have your psychiatrist fill it out. In mid-August, I will be doing a Back to School supply shopping haul with my daughter.

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childhood-adhd/adhd-teens

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/social-anxiety-disorder/basics/definition/con-20032524

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/paranoid-personality-disorder

Thank you for Reading and please Hit the Follow button!!

2 comments:

  1. Even though I am in my 20's now, I still love school shopping. Just something about new pens and notebooks and paper make me so happy haha
    But I'm also happy that your daughter seems to be doing better and you got her the help she needed. I believe I too have social anxiety and it is definitely not easy or fun to deal with. At least you and your husband are being good parents and doing something to help. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Satellite Dreams,
    Thank you for saying, we are good parents(something every mom needs to hear). This has been a long hard process but We Can Do this. I to Love "school" supplies!! Maybe, I will find some things, I "need" as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete